Stone is a type of building material that has been used for a long time in the field of civilization. Good stone is really needed for building a building.it is available in the form of rocks,which is cut to required size and shape,and used as a building block. A building stone may be as a sound rock that can be safely used in some situation in the construction as a massive dressed or undressed unit.granites and marbles used in the form of finely dressed blocks or slabs or columns in monumental and costly buildings are good building stones.
There are some requirements for good building stone. We should follow this requirement.requirement are given below:
- Strength: in case of large structure it is necessary to check the strength.the stone should be able to resist the load coming on it.
- Durability: selected stones are able to protect the building from natural disasters,such as rain storms,wind,heat.
- Hardness: the stone used in floors and pavements is able to resist abrasive forces caused by movement of people.
- Toughness: building stones should be tough enough to sustain stresses developed due to vibrations.the stone aggregates used in the road construction should be tough.
- Cost: cost is an important consideration in selecting a building material.however it may be noted that not a single stone can satisfy all the requirements of good building stones,since omne requirements may contradict another.
Classification of building stone
Stones may be classified in following three ways:
- Geological classification.
- Physical classification.
- Chemical classification.
Geological classification: the stones are classified into three main groups based on their origin:
- Igneous rocks: generally igneous rocks are strong and durable.granite,trap and basalt are the rocks belonging to this category, granites are formed by slow cooling of the lava under thick cover on the top.hence they are crystalline surfaces.
- Sedimentary rocks: sedimentary rocks are formed from preexisting rocks or pieces of once living organisms. They form from deposits that accumulate on the earth’s surface there are 3 types of sedimentary rocks. They are:clastic,organic,chemical.sedimentary rocks found in water,which is where a lot of erosion tasks place.
- Metamorphic rocks: previously formed igneous and sedimentary rocks undergo changes due to metamorphic ction of pressure and internal heat.some example of metamorphic rocks are gneiss,slate,marble,schist and quartzite.
Physical classification: based n the structure,the rocks may be classified:
- Stratified rocks: these rocks are4 having layered structure.it is deposited as successive beds of sediment and solidified by compaction, or crystallization same as sedum, entary erocks.thE most common cause of stratification is variation in the transporting ability of the depositing gent.
- Unstratified rocks: these rocks are not stratified.they can not be split into thin slab.granite ,trap,marble are this type of rocks.
- Foliated rocks: it is a special type of metamorphic rocks that has distinct repetitive layers.
Chemical classification: on the basis of chemical composition it is divided into three groups.
- Siliceous rocks:the main thing off this rock is silica. They are hard and durable. Granite,trap etc are this type of rocks.
- Argillaceous rocks: the main constituent of these rocks is argil. Clay. they are hard and durable.
- Calcareous rocks: the main constituent of these rocks is calcium carbonate.they formed due to precipitation of carbonate materials.
- What is the best stone for building?
Ans: many types of stones are available for building. Building stone should be hard,durable,high and free from soft patches of materials,cracks.each type of stone lends itself to various construction applications based on its properties.some commonly used building stone properties are given below:
- Metamorphic stone
- Basalt and trapsansstopne
- How to find a stone supplier in sylhet?
Ans: there are many stone supplier companies in sylhet . you can easily find them by their location. Some top stone supplier details and location are given below:
- Baitul mamur corporation company: supplier:crushed stone. Established:1991.contact details:sylhet,sylhet 301
- Ms.sn traders:supplier :coal and stone.service:export.established:2007.contact details: sylhet,bangladesh.
- Sylhet limestone supplier:supplier:limestone,stone.established:2010.contact details:jhar jhari para,sylhet3100,bangladesh.
- Diganta trade international:supplier:stone and sand,established:2010.contact details:27-4thfloor,west world shopping city,zindabazar,sylhet.
- Sania trend international:supplier:limestone,natural stone,ceramic tiles.contact details:2/14 b eastern plaza.sylhet,ambarkhana.bangladesh.